MtheHorrible Bits of randomness

Manjaro 18.1.3 KDE

I used to run Manjaro XFCE as my main distro and KDE is my favorite desktop environment so this should be great right …right?

alt text

Manjaro 18.1.3 KDE on my desktop PC

A few months back I finally decided to evict the last remaining Windows install I had. Since it was installed on my desktop PC that I use primarily for gaming I decided to go with Manjaro. I keep hearing how Manjaro is great for gaming and I have ran Manjaro numerous times on different machines so it seemed like a sure bet. In the past I have gone with the XFCE, Fluxbox (when it existed), and Openbox spins of Manjaro but with how much I’ve been liking KDE/Plasma lately I went with that version of Manjaro. While this isn’t a bad distro, I keep running into tiny “papercut” issues which finally made me decide I needed a change.

The first issue I ran into are these occasional crashes that cause the system to reboot. That is the type of behavior I expect from Windows not Linux. In fact, I actually never had crashes on this machine when it was running Windows. To be fair, I think this issue may have been fixed recently though as I have not had it happen in the last two weeks but I’m still a bit nervous it may happen again. My next issue is that when I walk away from the machine for a while and it turns off the monitors I cannot get them to come back. This issue, similar to my first, may have been fixed as I have not seen it lately. However, I cannot say for sure since I do not leave this machine on a lot when I am not using it.

Some other things I have noticed are weird issues with Steam. Some games that I have no issue playing on my much less powerful laptop have odd issues on this PC. While in Kubuntu I can just install Steam and go, in Manjaro I had to install additional packages and make a lot tweaks to get things working. Speaking of making tweaks, getting virt-manager working has been another hassle. I even installed it using the instructions from the Manjaro wiki and had to make further adjustments before it would work. While I do have it working for connecting to other machines, I wouldn’t say it is fully working as running a VM locally seems to have incredibly slow disk I/O. There are other issues as well but that may be more of how I use things and want them to work rather than true issues.

I really wanted this to work out (seriously, I don’t want to have to rebuild this machine) but there is a limit to the amount of effort I’m willing to put into a gaming PC. I’m leaving open the possibility of this being a hardware issue, but in order to prove it I need to try somethings else. I’m going to go with something else Ubuntu based as everything that I am currently running on an Ubuntu base is quite solid.

Manjaro